Sri Andal in Her Nacchiyar Thirumozhi, had sung offering to the Lord of Thirumaliruncholai [Azhagar koil near Madurai] Hundred thada [large vessel] of akkara adisil [preparation of rice, milk and jaggery] and Hundred thada of butter! This verse was sung many centuries before Swami Ramanuja was born. While studying this pasuram of Sri Andal, Swami Ramanuja wanted to fulfill Her desire. So he went with his entourage to Thirumaliruncholai, and got prepared the akkara adisil and butter in the quantity mentioned by Sri Andal and offered them to the Lord! He then came to Srivilliputhur and reported to Sri Andal that he had fulfilled Her ambition! She was delighted and addressed him as 'Anna [elder brother]'! Thus he became Her agraja or elder brother. So Swami Ramanuja had many titles. We will now see sloka 11 of Chapter 13. This is the last of the Five slokas, wherein the Lord lists Twenty qualities necessary for atma gyana. Now sloka 11:
etaj jnanam iti proktam
ajnanam yad ato ’nyatha
"accepting the importance of self-realization; and philosophical search for the Absolute Truth—all these I declare to be knowledge, and besides this whatever there may be is ignorance."
The Lord tells the last two qualities to Arjuna. By bringing into practice these Twenty qualities, will enable to acquire atma gyana. All others will not help to acquire atma gyana.
19. Adhyatma-jnana-nityatvam = always in thoughts about atman.
20. Tattva-jnanartha-darshanam = trying to understand the knowledge about truth. We should always strive to understand truth.
Etaj jnanam = this knowledge, iti proktam = what was told, anyatha = others are, ajnanam = ignorance. We will recapitulate the Twenty qualities:
- Respect elders.
- Never donate for publicity.
- Never hurt.
- Be patient.
- Be honest.
- Serve Acharyas.
- Be clean [in action, words and thoughts].
- Be steadfast.
- Control mind.
- Avoid sense pleasures.
- Understand atman and body are not same.
- Remember life is sorrowful with births, deaths, oldage, diseases and misries.
- Be indifferent to all, except atman.
- Avoid excessive attachment to kith and kin.
- Have balanced mind in desirables and undesirables.
- Devote only to the Lord Sri Krishna.
- Prefer solitude.
- Dislike crowds.
- Always ponder over atman. And,
- Pursue truth.